Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Happy Birthday Shaker


"The man who sets out to carry a cat by its tail learns something that will always be useful and which never will grow dim or doubtful."
                                                            --------------Mark Twain

Hi, Friends.....

Sorry for the long hiatus in posting here.  Life certainly has a way of getting in the way of having fun, doesn't it?  My most recent post had one of the two shaker cards I made together as a first attempt at these creatures.  Today I am sharing the other of the two, which I was asked to make for a young lady at church.  And then....when I saw that the super-sweet and wonderful Melissa at Vandicrafts had a Birthday Challenge this week (Happy BD, Melissa!!!), I knew I needed to get this posted.  :)


I am quickly growing to love making shakers and, in fact, I finished a Halloween shaker last night that I will share soon.  I know I am behind the times by just now starting to make this fun kind of card....I will blame that on living in Idaho where everything is a few decades slower than anywhere else!  Ha.  Anyway, shakers are my new favorite kind of card.  


This card uses Verve Geared Up stamps in the background.  I thought the individual little gears looked a lot like flowers, so I used them on the pink background for a stylized floral touch.....a lot more feminine than gears!  :)

Other products used include:  Sizzix Circles Scallop set of dies, MFP Above the Rest for BD greeting, DCWV Birthday Wishes cardstock, DCWV Glitter card base, and sequins and acetate sheets from my stash.

    
Here's a closer look:

Pink and turquoise are some of my favorite colors and I love how festive they look here.

Thanks for stopping by.  I have a bunch more cards planned for the next few days.  We'll see what life throws at me in the meantime!!!  lol...

<3
Janis

Thank you for the honor of entering this card in the following challenges:
1.  Vandicrafts Artistry Challenge #11 - Happy Birthday!
2.  Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - Falling in Love with.....
3.  Word Art Wednesday Challenge #153 - Anything Goes
4.  Scrapy Land Challenge #3 - Anything Goes
5.  Winnie & Walter WCMD Challenge - Unexpected Stamping  (gear stamp used as a flower.)
6.  DL.ART October Linky Challenge - Anything Goes 

18 comments:

  1. Your Birthday shaker card is adorable!! Love the bright and cheerful colors. Thanks for playing along with us at Scrapy Land Challenge #3! I hope you will join us in our next challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lori!!! I appreciate you stopping by!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  2. Hi Janis! Such a cute shaker card! :) I love you used sequins and the overall layout is adorable! Thank you for sharing (and for the sweet birthday wishes! :)) on this weeks Artistry Challenge!

    Melissa - Vandicrafts
    PS: Love the little kitty in the corner! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa!!!! So glad to be a part of your challenges.

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  3. Hi Janis! What a great idea to use the gear stamps for funky flowers!! You've transformed a masculine theme into a feminine theme quite well. So glad you got an opportunity to join the Winnie & Walter WCMD Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly!!! Funky flowers is a great way of describing them.....kinda retro early 70s. (I actually remember those days!!!! Ha.)

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  4. Not only lovely but fun as well These shakers are turning out great ......Lis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lis!!! The shakers are more fun than a barrel of monkeys and lots easier to clean up after.....even with the sequins all over the place! :D

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  5. How fun to use sequins like this - Janis, your shakers are really great with the assortment of designs and techniques! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Donna!!! I am really loving these as a way to use some of my sequins. I am always finding them at thrift stores.....and who can resist buying the glittering beauties for 20c????? Certainly not me! :)

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  6. Wow, how did I miss commenting on this adorable card?? Guess the gears in my brain got clogged...ha! Another great shaker card with tons of fun built right in! Those little gear images for the background look JUST like sweet little retro flowers, as you say. I think I even have some stamps that look exactly the same...and they call them flowers! My past run-ins with shaker cards have not been pretty but you've almost convinced me to give it another try, since you've managed to live through not one, but TWO shaker cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed replying to a bunch of my comments, too! I am looking fwd to seeing some shakers on your Flickr gallery!! So many card ideas and so little time, right?

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  7. Loving this! So much fun!!! Thanks so much for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! - Ashli :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I appreciate your visit!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  8. Thank you for posting your beautiful art with us this week during our 153rd challenge at Word Art Wednesday. Carole Robb Bisson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carole! Wow.....153rd Challenge....that's terrific. WAW is such a wonderfully inspirational and encouraging challenge blog!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  9. Great job on the shaker. Very colorful! We are blessed to have you join us at our last week's Word Art Wednesday Challenge. We hope you'll come back to visit us again. Leaving you with God's Word in James 1:12 which says, "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." Hugs always!

    JO ANN
    http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo Ann!! Have a blessed weekend!!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis