Monday, April 28, 2014

Exotic Oriental Card -- Exploring New Areas

"A cat is a Regency gentleman --  elegant of pose, exquisite of manner, with spotless linen and an enthusiasm for bare knuckle fights, rampaging love affairs, duels by moonlight, and the singing of glees.  He expects immaculate service from his domestic staff."
                                                                                  ------------ Pam Brown


Hi, Friends........

Today I am sharing a very different card from my usual style.  I saw that MFP Speedy TV was having an Oriental Sketch challenge, so I decided to play along.  This is my first attempt at an Asian looking card.  The jury is still out on how successful I was!


 



Here's the sketch that I was trying to emulate:












I started out by using some wonderful papers and a fascinating Asian postage stamp rubber stamp that I received as part of a prize from the lovely Jennifer Frith.   (THANKS, Jenny!!)  

Jenny is an amazing artist/illustrator and is such a sweetheart.  Please go check out her blog, Jenny's
Sketchbook, and prepare to be charmed!!!  You will LOVE her adorable animal paintings!!!




Here you can get a better look at the stamp on the mulberry paper, and also see the gold filigree ribbon I have used on several of my cards.  This is the end of that lovely thrift store spool.......such a beautiful find for 40 cents!! 


I got this fabulous Asian looking bow at the same thrift store for 10 cents!!  I knew it would be perfect for a card someday.  :)  Can you see the pretty gleam of the gold thread?


I put a notched piece of gold ribbon under the bow, and also added a gold embossed panda (shaded with distress ink to show the image better) to the lower corner of the center panel.  I edged a couple of the pieces with gold marker for accent and then it all got mounted onto a shimmery gold card base. 


I am still undecided as to how well I like this card.....but the exotic motifs and unfamiliar color combinations were super-fun and challenging to work with.  Thanks for taking a look at my card and for exploring new areas with me!!! 

Have a very lovely week!

<3 
Janis 

Thank you for the honor of entering this card in the following challenges:
1.  MFP Speedy TV Challenge #34 - Oriental Sketch
2.  All Sorts Challenge Week #256 - Oriental
3.  Red Rubber Designs #117 - Postage Due 
***************************************
CAT STATUS UPDATE:
Othello, Andromeda, and Aliyah are moping around because my son is gone visiting relatives out of state. Chaienne doesn't care and Whiskers probably doesn't even notice, but the other three are depressed, restless, and out of sorts. Othello, in particular, is bonded on to my son. Othello is a guy-cat and considers me a very poor substitute for his best friend. Tonight, Andromeda was standing on a chair and clasping her paws around the doorknob of my son's closed bedroom door trying to open it and get in. Sometimes she is too smart for her own good!
****************************************

10 comments:

  1. Janis, your Oriental card is beautiful! Love the stamping on the mulberry paper and the panda image is adorable! The gold ribbon and the bow are gorgeous. Thank you for sharing with us at MFP Oriental Sketch Challenge! We hope you'll visit us at MFP often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your kind and encouraging comments!! And thank you for becoming a follower!!!

    <3
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card a great design, love the pretty ribbon.
    Thank you for sharing at Allsorts ' Oriental' challenge this week and good luck x Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I'm loving all of the gold!! Thanks for joining us @ Red Rubber Inspirationals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just lovely for our Oriental theme Janis, thank you so much for joining us at Allsorts challenge this week.

    B x (My Grand Calibur candy is still running here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you found us Janis, and for doing Oriental cards your first try turned out absolutely gorgeous!!! I hope you continue to join us every Saturday at Speedy TV Oriental Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane, for your sweet comment! As I said, Oriental is very new to me, but it was fun. I have other items of this genre, so look for me again in the MFP Oriental Challenge! :)

      Thanks so much for your support and encouragement by becoming a follower, too!!!

      <3
      Janis

      Delete
  7. What a gorgeous creation, I love the bow! Thank you for sharing with us at Allsorts and joining our challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, your oriental card is a stunner. I love oriental stamps and love to see how others use them. Your sense of design is wonderful. I really like the way you brought all the different elements together and that bow is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty - love the oriental theme! Thanks for playing along with us at Red Rubber Inspirationals!

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Your kind words encourage me so very much!!!

Have a lovely day!
<3
Janis